Sunday 29 September 2013

Sugababes music video analysis

Another girl band which have influenced how we have shaped the vision of our music video are the Sugababes.

I took a look at two of their videos and have picked out what I liked and didn't like about them.

The first one was their video for Push the Button.

 I don't really like this shot because I can't really see the link between this and the lift. To me, it seems a bit irrelevant to the storyline. Although, I do like that they have added an effect to it to make it seem like it's CCTV camera footage or something. And it's good how it has another appearance later on in the video.
 I like these two shots because of the positioning of the band members. The one who is singing at that point in the song is positioned in the foreground and the other two are in the background. I think it looks really good how they are all doing their own little dance moves to show that they're having a good time and so the girls behind don't look out of place whilst the band member is in front singing. If it wasn't just me and Siobhan lip-syncing for our music video, we could have done some positioning like this.

 I also like that the shot switches back and forth to a mid shot and a close up which like a lot of the other music videos I've looked at, it adds variety and looks visually interesting. By doing this it keeps the audience engaged whereas if they left it as just a mid shot for the whole time.

I also really like that their is a extreme close-up of each band member for each part of the song that they sing. It gives them a chance to show off individually. By positioning them in front of different coloured walls again, makes the video visually interesting. For our music video, we could also get footage of me and Siobhan together but also individually.

I then took a look at their video for About You Now.



Similar to their video for Push The Button, they have combined the idea of standing in front of a plain wall singing and adding a variety of different shots. Not only have they done mid shots and extreme close ups, they have also taken  shots from a side angle. Again, this makes the video visually interesting for the audience.



 The difference between this video and the video for Push The Button is that there is a narrative. It's not the band members acting but there is quick switches back and forth to the storyline and back to the girls singing.


Again, there is a huge variety of shots here from different angles of the girls all together to extreme close-ups on each girl. We can incorporate this into our music video by filming me and Siobhan lip-syncing from a variation of different angles and then mixing it up when it comes to editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment